Open: Monday-Friday
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM

The Nelson County Attorney’s Office, Child Support Division, through the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, locates non-custodial parents and helps obtain financial and medical support from them for their children.

This office collects over $4,400,000 of child support every year.

The goals and responsibilities of the Child Support Division:

  • Location of non-custodial parents
  • Establishment of paternity
  • Establishment of financial and medical support
  • Enforcement and collection of support payments
  • Review and modification of support orders

To provide these services the child support program works closely with federal, state and local agencies as well as employers.



You must contact our office if you have a change of address, telephone number, change of employment or change of residency of the child / children for whom support is owed. You must keep us informed of new information regarding the non-custodial parent.

The length of time to process your case varies depending on the information we have been provided and the type of actions required. Delays can occur if the non-custodial parent lives out of state or if the non-custodial parent cannot be located or served by the Sheriff. Processing a case fully through the court system can take several months. Your case is very important to us, but we request your patience and cooperation throughout the process.



Who is eligible to receive child support services?
What kind of information do I need to establish a child support order?
Who decides how much child support I receive?
Can the amount be changed in the future?
How do I have the amount changed?
Who can request a review for modification of a support order and how is a review of a child support obligation requested?
The noncustodial parent is not paying his/her child support obligation, what can I do?
What is the age of emancipation in Kentucky?
How do I request that my child support check be deposited in my bank account?
How do I obtain a copy of my payment history?
What if the noncustodial parent lives in another state?
She/he never lets me see the kids. Why do I have to pay child support?
I am an employer. Can you help me understand my obligations?


Child Support Voice Response System
(800) 443-1576

The toll-free number (800) 443-1576 provides automated access to child support payment and account information. This system is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You must use your Individual Child Support ID Number provided by the child support agency to access and obtain information from the IVR. In the event your Individual Child Support ID Number is lost or forgotten, please contact your local child support office for assistance.


How to Calculate Your Child Support Obligation

The following forms are used to calculate the amount of child support a noncustodial parent must pay. The CS-71.1 is only used when one parent has 100 percent of the total income for the family. When printing these forms, you must also print a copy of the Child Support Guidelines Table, in order to complete the worksheet.


KY New Hire Reporting Center
(800) 817-2262

All public and private employers doing business in Kentucky are required by Federal Law to report each newly hired employee to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Employers are also required to withhold child support payments from the wages paid to employees with a child support obligation.


Private Wage Withholding Cases (Non-IV-D)
(877) 706-8508


Division of Child Support NIVD Unit
P.O. Box 24828
Lexington, Kentucky 40524-4828

The NIVD Unit receives information on private wage withholding cases from private attorneys and inputs the necessary information to the Kentucky Child Support System for distribution of child support payments. Private wage withholdings do not involve the Nelson County Attorney Child Support Office.